Introduction
Before you start reading this you should understand this is not a Tutorial series (as such). A tutorial should be written be a person with great knowledge of the subject and I am only beginner and writing this as I progress along the learning curve.

Then why would should I even be writing this (I hear you ask), hopefully the answer will be clear...

I got to thinking the other day about my programming knowledge. As a Software Support Analyst/Developer I have to know several 3rd party products and coding languages (C#, VB, Java just being a few examples), but don't get to become an expert at one single language since moving from a development team. I had then decided that I could enhance my knowledge and learn in my free time. I decided to choose a low level language that I didn't have much knowledge about and a specific goal - C++ Game Programming!

Why choose a language I didn't know much about and such a specific subject, the answer was easy!

  • I have chosen C++ as it is the base language for many applications and games and it would make learning more interesting, however having done higher level object orientated programming in the past this will help.
  • I have chosen Game Programming simply because I owned an Amiga and the Demo Scene had a big effect on my life and got me interested in programming from an early age.
This "For Beginners by a Beginner" series will help highlight and correct any problems I have faced along the way and hopefully help you if you come across the same issues.